Raising school achievement through geography
Working with the GA can help you maximise progress and attainment in geography in your school in the following ways:
Supporting your school to realise:
- outstanding teaching and learning in geography
- inspirational, transformative, ambitious leadership in geography
- current geographical thinking and research to develop subject knowledge
- an engaging and challenging geography curriculum.
What does the GA offer?
Journals - Primary Geography
- practical ideas for lessons and fieldwork
- guidance on lesson planning and assessment
- regular features such as 'Webwizard'
- reviews of books, websites, CDs, topic packs and other resources.
Journals - Teaching Geography
- lead articles exploring the theory and practice of a specific aspect in geographical education
- ideas for stimulating geography lessons, complete with downloadable resources.
- articles that discuss and illustrate approaches to teaching geography
- news, views and comments
- reviews of new resources.
Journals - Geography
- recent research by leading geographers
- specific studies in human and physical geography
- enquiries into environmental issues
- discussion of standards in geographical education
- investigations of specific places and regions, and
- reviews of recent resources.
The Secondary Geography Quality Mark (SGQM) is a self-evaluation framework that has been developed by the Geographical Association to enable subject leaders to raise the standards of geography in school, supporting the teaching of quality geography and promoting department leadership and management.
The framework process has been updated in the light of recent Ofsted guidance, Teacher Standards and National College of School Leadership advice. The SGQM is also now designed to link with the Global Learning Programme.
The Primary Geography Quality Mark (PGQM) is both an award and a powerful curriculum development tool. It supports the process of school improvement - an essential part of the geography subject leader's role - and allows you and your school to gain recognition for it.
A two day conference consisting of a varied input of lectures and workshops with different pathways.
The GA provides an extensive professional CPD programme for primary and secondary teachers at all stages of their careers.
The GA's consultancy service offers the opportunity to create a bespoke plan linked to your values and ethos. It will explicitly address your needs and ensure that an effective process of continuous development and change occurs in geography across your alliance.
We provide comprehensive guidance and support for your ITT mentors and for teacher trainees, and teacher standards and what a well-informed and competent new secondary geography teacher needs to know and be able to do.
‘CPD at its very best. Innovative, creative and most importantly, practical’
Martin Shevill, Head teacher, Academy
The GA is the leading subject association for all teachers of geography
Join the GA
For professional journals, huge discounts on publications and CPD and online access to member only resources.Join now
Free access to subscribers