Leading primary geography
Who this course is for
Primary teachers and geography subject leaders
Course dates and locations
London - Tuesday 21 November 2017
Sheffield - Thursday 23 November 2017
London - Tuesday 13 March 2018
Leicester - Monday 21 May 2018
Birmingham - Monday 4 June 2018
Registration fees include all course materials, refreshments and lunch.
GA Personal/Group/Concessionary Member: £215
GA Personal/Group/Concessionary Member: £195
*Join now to receive the course discount.
Join us to develop your understanding of geography's core skills and knowledge. This course will help you to lead primary geography successfully and raise the standard of teaching and learning of the subject in your school. You will explore how to stimulate geographical learning that is relevant, progressive and engaging. The session will also examine the geographical connections to other subject areas and whole-school dimensions such as global learning, sustainability, values and learning outside the classroom.
Aims and outcomes
- By the end of the day we hope participants:
- Gain insight and understanding of a range of leadership and management tools to enable successful geography in your school
- Understand core geography knowledge and skills within the context of the national curriculum
- Consider factors that may influence how you plan your geography curriculum
- Examine a framework for assessment in geography
- Explore a range of practical ideas for teaching high-quality geography (including some cross-curricular opportunities).
09.00-09.30: Coffee and registration
09.30-11.00: Session 1 – Introductions, practical session and what could your geography curriculum look like?
11.00-11.15: Refreshment break
11.15-13.00: Session 2 – Making the most of fieldwork
13.45-15.30: Session 3 – Practical session: Leading and reviewing your subject followed by a plenary
London: Nell Lee, Consultant to the GA
Sheffield: Jon Cannell, Primary Curriculum Leader, Geographical Association
Birmingham/Leicester: Sarah Whitehouse, PGCE Programme Leader and Senior Lecturer, University of the West of England, and Consultant to the GA
If your organisation would like to include an insert in the delegate packs for this event, please contact Harriet Brookes.
Have a question about this course?
Contact the GA's Events Assistant Harriet Brookes (0114 296 0088) who will be happy to help.
Join the GA
For professional journals, huge discounts on publications and CPD and online access to member only resources.Join now
Free access to subscribers