Secondary Phase Committee
The purpose of the Secondary Phase Committee is to support GA members concerned with geography at Key Stages 3 and 4 and to represent their views and interests.
What we do
- Monitor the views, interests, concerns and issues facing secondary geography members of the GA. In addition, monitor the state of health of secondary geography as indicated by data on numbers and assessment evidence.
- Initiate ideas for engaging and challenging teaching and learning ideas in the secondary geography classroom.
- Disseminate these ideas through workshops at the annual GA Conference, the GA website, and occasional articles and contributions to GA publications such as Teaching Geography.
- Represent the views, interests, concerns and issues facing secondary geography members of the GA at the GA Education Committee and to external bodies.
- Promote geography to teachers, pupils, schools and the wider community as a relevant and exciting subject.
We have led numerous sessions on a variety of themes at the GA Annual Conference; published articles in Teaching Geography on topics such as team teaching, Valuing Places, the geography of crime, using ICT to enrich geography, leading the geography department/self assessment and fieldwork; represented the GA in the QCDA review of the Key Stage 3 curriculum; and published several resources on the GA website.
Every half term the GA's secondary phase committee produces a Top Ideas publication to help you teach the secondary curriculum. You can view them in full on the Top Ideas page or download them here:
Teaching a linear course
Developing Locational Knowledge
Exam Revision Time
Getting your students out of the classroom during the summer term
Geography in the Wider Curriculum
An Exciting Start to Year 7 Geography
Promoting GCSE geography
Your new KS3
Secondary Phase Committee members
- Tanith Ludlam
- Emma Johns
- Alan Parkinson (secretary)
- Judy Gleen
- Gary Dawson
- Becky Kitchen
- Stephen Schwab (co-chair)
- Paul Hunt (co-chair)
- Kathryn Stephenson
- Rachel Kay
- Bethan Laing
- Ryan Bate
Past meeting reports
The Secondary Phase Committee would like to hear from GA members who might be interested in joining the committee. Contact Paul Hunt to find out more.
Join the GA
For professional journals, huge discounts on publications and CPD and online access to member only resources.Join now