That sounds like an amazing competition!!
Physical geography student photo competition - 2017
Photo by Harry Rowlands, who won last year's competition (14-18 age category)
Following the success of previous photo competitions by the Physical Geography Special Interest Group, the Physical Geography Photo Competition returns.
The theme for this year’s competition is ‘Landscape Story’.
- to promote students’ observation and awareness of physical geography in their environment
- to apply young people’s knowledge of physical geography using an informal context
- to inspire young people to observe and interact with physical geography through imagery
- for young people to recognise that photography is an exciting and interesting way of capturing and interpreting physical geography.
This year’s competition is about explaining the story behind the physical landscape; why it looks the way it does, how it was formed, the interaction of processes and the passage of time needed to create the scene in front of you.
How to enter: Students submit a photo of a physical landscape with a description (maximum of 250 words) that describes and interprets the physical geography that has created your landscape. The competition entry deadline is Friday 29 September 2017.
The competition website includes advice and suggestions for discovering examples of physical geography plus tips for creating a good entry. Each entry will be judged on both the quality of the photograph and the description of the physical geography it contains.
We encourage your students to enter as taking part will broaden their geographical understanding.
There are two entry categories:
1. Ages 11–14 (KS3), 2. Ages 14–18 (KS4–5)
Prizes are courtesy of outdoor clothing company Páramo Directional Clothing Systems.
- 1st prize = Ostro (men’s)/Alize (women’s) Windproof Jacket
- 2nd prize = Fuera Smock
- 3rd prize = Páramo Travel Towel
All winners and entries judged as Highly Commended will receive a copy of Longman’s Student Atlas from the Geographical Association and a certificate.
Prize winning photographs will feature on the Geographical Association website.
Download the competition poster below (note deadline is incorrect) to display and hand out to students.
Join the GA
For professional journals, huge discounts on publications and CPD and online access to member only resources.Join now