During this unit of work students will:
- Look at their own waste habits and those of the Rotherham borough and the UK
- Discover where the borough’s waste goes and consider what the implications of this are
- Look into the disposal of waste in the UK as a whole and the impacts of this (making links to the export of the UK’s waste to China)
- Consider Orgreave mine as a potential landfill site and the implications that are connected to this
- Complete a decision making activity
- Consider how the problems caused by waste can be reduced
The resource downloads for this Unit have been organised into generic information plus four lessons. A Zip file containing the full set of resources is also provided at the foot of the page.
- Lesson 2: Where Does Our Waste Go?
- Lesson 2: The Independent Cover 26 January 2007
- Lesson 2: Card Sort Statements
- Lesson 3: Public Enquiry Meeting
- Lesson 3: Speech Writing Frame
- Lesson 3: Thinking Hats
- Lesson 3: Role Cards
- Lesson 3: Advantages and Disadvantages of a Landfill
- Lesson 4: How Do We Solve The Waste Problem?
- Lesson 4: Opinion Poll Worksheet
- Lesson 4: Think Tank Worksheet