What does the GA do?
The GA supports high-quality geography education by connecting teachers of geography with one another, enabling them to share ideas and learn from one another. We empower teachers’ professional knowledge and skills by:
- publishing geography education titles, professional journals, Online Teaching Resources, authoritative guidance and a website for young geographers
- running an Annual Conference and Exhibition, attended by geography teachers from around the world
- running professional development events, local networks and curriculum projects
- recognising the achievements of schools, teachers and students through accreditation, awards and competitions
- advocating for geography to advance the subject in education and more widely.
This video shows some of the activities the GA undertakes to support geography education.
Who are the GA’s members?
The GA has more than 10,000 personal and institutional memberships. These include primary and secondary teachers, trainee teachers, teacher educators, academics, geography undergraduates, infant, primary and secondary schools, colleges, universities, libraries, societies, museums and businesses.
Although UK-based, we have members in more than 80 countries and strong links with geographical organisations around the world. Join the GA here.